Chocolate and orange is such a classic combination, we’ve decided to take it to the next level in these soft squidgy brownies. Using No Added Sugar & Gluten Free Dark Chocolate with Orange & nutritious black beans rather than the traditional white flour, this is the ultimate health twist to standard brownies. To sweeten them up, we have added a little maple syrup and to give them that extra citrus zing, some orange zest (we all need a little zing in our life, right?)
If you also like your brownies with an extra bite, add chopped almonds to the mix.
SERVES: Makes 12-14 brownies
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 25 minutes
* 1 tin black beans and juice
* 2 tbsp maple syrup
* 3 tbsp cacao powder
* 150g Free’ist orange chocolate – melted (2 x 75g Bars)
* Zest of 2 oranges
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 150g chopped almonds (optional)
1. Melt the chocolate by placing broken chocolate pieces into a small bowl and putting the bowl into a saucepan of water over a medium heat. The hot water should heat the bowl and melt the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is a liquid consistency. Remove from the heat.
2. In a food processor or nutribullet blend up the black beans together with their juice until smooth.
3. Place the bean mixture into a large bowl and stir in the cacao powder, orange zest, maple syrup, melted chocolate and baking powder and stir to combine. You’ll have a really runny mixture. Lastly, fold in the chopped almonds if you’re using them.
5. Spoon this mix into a lined brownie tin – ideal size would be a 6″x 6″ small tin. Bake for 25 minutes until crisp and firm on top. Don’t worry if they don’t seem totally set when you remove from the oven, the brownies will get firmer as they cool.
6. Allow to cool before cutting.
Thanks to Vicky at The Flourishing Pantry for co-creation.